Friday, October 6, 2017

What would you do if you were placed in the same situation as Chillingworth?

If I were to be placed in Chillingworth's position, I feel as if I would become angry at Hester, but not wish physical or mental harm onto her or her lover. What she did was unforgivable, even if she wasn't given the amount of love she desired, but becoming so entrenched in getting revenge would not help the situation at all. The guilt alone would suffice in my opinion. Just the way I see it, what would you guys do?

4 comments:

  1. I disagree with Jeffery, I do not think it is Hester's fault that she committed adultery. It should be Chillingworth's fault. Put yourself in Hester's position, marry a man you don't know and don't love, follow him to the New World, know no one, and you get is "wait for me". It is unfair. If I am Hester, I will not be loyal to him either. Chillingworth is the one who want to marry Hester, and Hester is the one who have to commit to a man who never truly love her, although she broke the commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot that she did not want to marry him in the first place, that changes everything. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Zhu, since she really didn’t have the option to marry Chillingsworth, I don’t blame her for the act she committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was Chillingworth then I would understand why she did it and support her through her punishment and help Pearl,because I left her for 2 years all alone in a strange country. I don't believe what he did to find Hester's lover was right I believe that she had every right to cheat on him.

    ReplyDelete